Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Forestry Farm Park

The Forestry Farm Park where the Saskatoon Zoo is situated, is one of my favorite places to look for birds & wildlife in the city.
Some highlights of the day were :

Philadelphia Vireo, Osprey, Western Wood Pewee, Dark-eyed Junco, White-throated Sparrow , White-winged Crossbill, Northern Waterthrush and Palm Warbler.

Here are some photos taken there last week ( left click to enlarge ) :

Philadelphia Vireo - Not always an easy bird to find in town:



Osprey - This majestic raptor was catching fish at the trout pond. When I first got to the park I found him perched atop a tall power pole and at one point he stooped to look down at me:





Brown Thrasher - I found four of these at the park. Its not too often you can get a shot of them out in the open:



Northern Waterthrush - Its a good day when you can get one of these Warblers actually in the water as their name implies:



Yellow-rumped Warbler - This time of year the Yellow-rumps become the most abundant Warbler around..



Blue-winged Teal - She was swimming in the trout pond.



Alder Flycatcher - I found this guy in the trees near the entrance:

10 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Those are wonderful I'm jealous - we went out yesterday, and saw nothng, zero, zilch!

Nick S said...

I sometimes get days like that too :-) Thanks for the comment !

kjpweb said...

Just flat out amazing! Excellent shots, Nick!
Cheers, Klaus

Nick S said...

Thanks very much Klaus ! :-)

Nick S said...

Glad you liked them. That's the closest I've gotten to one yet, and even then he was still about 40ft up :-)

Rocky M said...

The Osprey is fantastic Nick.I'm astounded how good the birding is up in Saskatoon.I guess having S.Sask river is excellent for bringing in these species.

Nick S said...

Thanks Rock. The birding is great here , but you get slow days like anywhere.
Funnily enough, I didn't see an Osprey the whole time I was at the river yesterday when they really should be coming through now. That one at the trout pond was a fluke :-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

More great pics!! That osprey is a frightening looking thing. I wouldn't want it flying at me.
:-)

Stacey Olson said...

Beautiful as always... wonderful, thanks for sharing

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking ! :-)