Thursday, September 4, 2008

Backyard Birds During Fall Migration

Every year around this time, I look forward to seeing what will visit our backyard as Autumn approaches.
This is a big update ( 24 photos ) with many species that stopped by during the last week of August until present. One species ( Eastern Kingbird ) was new for the yard , others are migrants just passing through, while a couple are more familiar 'old friends' that will stick around right through Winter.

As usual all photos can be enlarged to full size by left clicking.

Starting with the Warblers.....

Wilson's Warbler:

Male




Female



Cape May Warbler :



Mourning Warbler :




Tennessee Warbler :





Magnolia Warbler :



Blackpoll Warbler :



Yellow Warbler :




And now everything else ...

Red-breasted Nuthatch :



Pine Siskin :





Swainson's Thrush





Black-capped Chickadee :



Least Flycatcher :



Red-eyed Vireo :







Eastern Kingbird :


11 comments:

Rocky M said...

Congratulations Nick these are beautiful ! I'm jealous the only birds that visit our yard are House Sparrows.Thanks for these,they will be very helpful for I.D.s.Wow what a nice variety,who needs to leave the yard.:)

Rocky

Shelley said...

Great warbler show today!

The Birdlady said...

Wow! So many, and such beautiful images.

Nick S said...

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
Yes, we do get lucky at this time of year.
Having running water from the fountain and pond nearby helps, as well as a nice Elderberry Bush to feed the Warblers, Thrushes and Vireos. Also, if the House Sparrows weren't a constant presence, making all the noise and flying around , I think we'd have a lot less birds coming in to investigate :-)

kjpweb said...

Mindboggling! Absolutely fantastic.
I went through our woods today and it was dead as a doornail - you didn't even hear any bird calls.
Cheers, Klaus

Nick S said...

Thankyou Klaus ! I wonder if there was a predator lurking around your wooods keeping many of the birds in hiding..?

Nick S said...

Thankyou :-) One of these days I'll make it over to the US, then perhaps we can all go out on an outing.

2sweetnsaxy said...

These are just wonderful. I have one question... were you actually up in the tree for some of these?
That one looking down at the bird kind of makes me wonder. :-)

greenehawke said...

Wow Nick, it looks like I am seeing more warblers at your site than I am in my backyard in Alabama! Why am I not surprised?
Terrific photos on a really nice blog. You can be sure I shall return. http:/birdsight.com

Nick S said...

Thankyou very much :-) We are quite fortunate to get them in the Fall.

John Theberge said...

Do you ever make prints, a lot of these photos would look lovely enlarged and hanging on a wall?