Sunday, September 21, 2008

Black-crowned Night Heron

Just when I was beginning to think I wouldn't see one of these small Herons at all this year, a friend and I found two juveniles perched on the shore of the fishing pond at the Forestry Farm Park last week.

This is the 225th species I have seen in Saskatchewan this year. I hope there are still a few more to add before 2008 is over :-)

I had to be very careful not to spook this one as they can be quite flighty. He was on the corner of the pond, so I hid behind some bushes from a fair distance away :

7 comments:

Mike said...

Cracking Nick, I wouldn't have said this was taken at distance, great shot.

Nick S said...

Thanks Mike. I'd say that he was at least 40ft away. Makes you glad to have a zoom eh !

Shelley said...

Simply gorgeous!

me ann my camera said...

What a beautiful creature this is and what magnificent eyes it has! It would be a new one for me.

The Birdlady said...

Wonderful!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Interesting looking bird. Awesome shot!

Nick S said...

Glad you liked him :-)