Thursday, November 6, 2008

White-breasted Nuthatch

Last weekend my wife and I spent a couple of hours at Pike Lake.
This is a great place not too far from town, where you can find White-breasted Nuthatches.
They are quite tame, and will sometimes come down to your outstretched hand to take food, along with the even tamer Black-capped Chickadees that are always present.
I got some photos of them feeding from my wife's hand which I will post soon.

For now , here are some photos I got of this handsome bird
( click to enlarge ):







This is what a Nuthatch will do when a Chickadee gets too close :

10 comments:

2sweetnsaxy said...

Beautiful shots. I really like the poses and the bird is such a cutie! :-)

Nick S said...

Thankyou. They are even cuter when they land on your hand and make their little honking sound :-)

Peggy said...

Wow, I absolutely LOVE that last one! (They are all exceptional!) I can't imagine ever getting mine to feed from my hand, but I have never tried, so thanks for the idea!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fantastic shots.

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-)

The Birdlady said...

Perfect - you captured not only his beauty, but his personality!

Unknown said...

Its beautiful to see closeup images of this species. In India they are very shy. lovely bokeh and very well composed as well

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

John Theberge said...

Great shots, I especially like the second two. I was just out raking the yard and noticed a bunch of chickadees flying around my trees and there were a few nuthatches too. You've inspired me to try and get out there and get some photos.

Shelley said...

Can't wait to see the nuthatches on the hand!