Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Varied Thrush

On Sunday, after a field trip to President Murray Park, some friends of mine saw 2 Varied Thrush in a yard on Temperance St.
Most years in Saskatoon, we are lucky to play host to one or two of these colorful large, Robin-like thrushes of the Pacific Northwest.
I looked for them the following day and dipped, but yesterday I had success finding this male ( only the 3rd individual I have ever seen ), one block down from where they were originally spotted.
This is my 230th species this year in Saskatchewan. There may still be time to get another new year bird before 2009...

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Beautiful bird! I've never seen one of these.

kjpweb said...

That's a beauty!
Great catch!
Cheers, Klaus

NCmountainwoman said...

Gorgeous bird and great shot. I've never seen one. Beautiful.

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking guys.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

A gorgeous bird.I have yet to see one although they are reported in our area.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Beautiful bird. Love the color combination of the feathers. Great shot... as usual. :-)

MicheleRF said...

What a beautiful bird! I've never seen one of these. Thanks, Nick, for sharing your wonderful fortune and photography!

Nick S said...

Glad you like him. I'm hoping to go back and see if I can find the other one..

Jayne said...

Oh Nick, he's gorgeous!! I've never seen one. BRAVO!

John Theberge said...

Not only did you get to see a rare bird but you got a great shot also. It sure is a colorful bird