Sunday, November 16, 2008

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

This morning our backyard was full of Blue Jays, 8 of them in fact, the most I have ever seen in our yard at one time.
While they were busy grabbing , and stashing peanuts , this Red-shafted Northern Flicker showed up in the yard.
Last year we had a visit from one as well, and I can't help wondering if this is the same female that we had back then.
Red-shafted Flickers are not that common in Saskatoon, although a few will turn up from time to time.
Unfortunately, it was very gloomy outside this morning ( the sun has not been out for days it seems ) and shooting through my kitchen window never produces great results, but the orange-reddish wing markings are clearly visible.
It it had been a male then it would have had a nice red 'mustache '.



Here is a shot as it took off , showing the distinct orange/red on the wings

5 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Another perfect picture!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Another great shot! :-) I'd be excited if I saw one blue jay in my yard. I'd probably have a fit if I saw that many.

Nick S said...

Ha ha . Yeah, 8 was a real surprise I tell you. Thanks for the kind words :-)

me ann my camera said...

This appears top be a beautiful bird. Here in the east we have the yellow-shafted flicker. Nice capture showing the red colours.

Nick S said...

We have mainly the Yellow here too , so its always a nice surprise when these one's show up.
of course, they both interbreed too :-)