Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hairy Woodpecker

This afternoon, myself, my wife and other members of the Saskatoon Nature Society took a trip to Pike Lake.
Apart from the usual suspects that can be found there, I'm 99% sure I spotted a fly-over by a Pileated Woodpecker at the south end of the park. Unfortunately none of us could re-locate it.
Another highlight was a small flock of Pine Grosbeaks that also flew over, but didn't give us a chance to have a good look at them.

Here is a male Hairy Woodpecker that I managed to entice in while I explored the woods on my own.
As usual click to see full size :

7 comments:

The Birdlady said...

A real beauty.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Beautiful shot! I've been fortunate enough to see a few woodpeckers but I've yet to get a good shot. :(

Shelley said...

I love seeing their bellies puffed like this!

Nick S said...

Thanks for the comments. This one came in when I tapped a few trees with a stick.

Unknown said...

Nick : I seem to have missed out on some of your amazing posts. Adding you to my blogroll rightaway.

That woodpecker is so beautifully captured...Thomas

Jayne said...

Oh, he's beautiful Nick!

Nick S said...

Thanks so much guys :-)