Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Great Horned Owl

Yesterday, a friend and I took another visit to Pike Lake to see if there were any species around that were not there on our last visit.
The thing about Pike Lake, and birding in general, is that you can go to one place one day and find nothing, then go the next and be rewarded with all kinds of things.
Once again, I heard small flocks of Redpolls and Pine Grosbeaks, but none seemed to settle anywhere where we could actually look at them.
The usual Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers were also here as well as the ever present Black-capped Chickadees and White-breasted Nuthatch.
Compared to our last trip, we found a soaring Bald Eagle over Snake Trail Road and this Great Horned Owl sleepily, sunning itself in the woods :

(Click for bigger versions )



13 comments:

Shelley said...

I could see the fluffy details of his beautiful feathers - just wonderful!

Nick S said...

Thanks :-) Its quite common to see these during the spring when they are nesting, but this is the first one I've seen at Pike Lake at this time of year.

kjpweb said...

Cool - The only Owl I get to see (and then only when it's dark is a Barn Owl...
Wonderful shots, Nick!
Cheers, Klaus

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful pictures of the owl.

Mike said...

Absolutely stunning a great find.

Jayne said...

What a beauty! He snoozed just long enough for some great shots!

Nick S said...

Many thanks guys :-)

The Birdlady said...

He's so magnificent - I think he was trying to figure out if he was big enough to take you down!

Peggy said...

What a find! I don't know how you do it...These photos are fantastic! Every single detail was captured down to the down feathers! Awesome!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow! These are beautiful and the detail is amazing. The closest I've come to seeing an owl while I was out was a sign that said if I was quiet I might see one. Yeah right. I was quiet. Nothing. :-D

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure you'll find one eventually :-)

MicheleRF said...

WoW, Nick! Too bad you couldn't get any closer! Ha, ha! Sweet shots! Thanks for sharing.

Nick S said...

Thanks Michele :-)