Saturday, November 1, 2008

Golden-crowned Kinglet & more

This afternoon I spent an enjoyable couple of hours at the old Sanatorium site and Holiday Park.
Almost as soon as I arrived, while I was speaking to the friendly owner of the Bowerman House, I heard the distinctive 3 note call of a Golden-crowned Kinglet.
I soon found a pair of them foraging in a thick stand of shrubs and then watched as they flew high to the lofty branches of one of the many spruce trees at the park.
The Northern Cardinal that visited this area last year apparently left in March , so hopefully it made its way south with no problems.

Other birds seen at the park :

Common Merganser - one actively diving bird on the river
Mallard - 10 on the river
Canada Goose - 12 on the river
Ring-billed Gull - 5 flying over the river
Dark-eyed Junco - 6
Black-capped Chickadee - 10
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 4
White-breasted Nuthatch - 4
House Finch - 20+ feeding on choke cherries near the house
Blue Jay - 4
Black-billed Magpie - 3
Common Raven - 1 heard
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 3
Northern Flicker - 4

Here are some photos ( click to enlarge )

Golden-crowned Kinglet



Dark-eyed Junco



Black-billed Magpie

8 comments:

Jayne said...

What a great list of birds. :c) Love the little kinglet, and I've never seen the beautiful magpie.

Nick S said...

Thankyou Jayne :-)

Mike said...

That Kinglet looks like our Goldcrest Nick which I'm sure you have seen, had one in my garden the other day but I was in work, gutted.
Stunning pics.

Nick S said...

Cheers Mike. Yeah, they are basically our version of the Goldcrest. Sorry you missed the one in your garden. Doh !

Larry said...

Wow-nice Kinglet photo!I was just thinking today about how the Golden-crowned is the one that usually gives three ringing notes.-I used to get confused between the two kinglet sounds and the brown Creeper.

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words. It's always great to see those little birds :-)

Denise said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your photo's are stunning! I'm adding you to my blogroll, since you have birds that we just don't see here in Michigan.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow. One of these days my bird shots will look this good... I hope. :-)