Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Prince Albert National Park

At the end of June, my wife and I spent an enjoyable few days in a cabin at Waskesiu, within the confines of Prince Albert National Park.
I took the opportunity to do some birding and photography while she braved the cold waters of the lake !
The weather for the most part was great, but of course we had to contend with swarms of biting Mosquitoes and Horse Flies.

Here are the highlights ...

At Waskesiu :

Bay-breasted Warbler - 1 singing high up at the Birch Bay camp area
Magnolia Warbler - 1 on the Red Deer Trail
Cape May Warbler - many along the Waskesiu River and 2 at Birch Bay
Tennessee Warbler - everywhere
Orange-crowned Warbler - only one , at the Armstrong Cabins site
Blackburnian Warbler - 1 on the Red Deer Trail, 2 at Hanging Hearts and a few heard
Connecticut Warbler - 1 near Beaver Glen Campsite singing in some low shrubs.
Mourning Warbler ( heard only )
American Redstart - several in various locales
Ovenbird - a few calling hear and there but no visuals
Common Yellowthroat - 2 at the river
Northern Waterthrush - 2 near Birch Bay

Western Tanager - 1 singing at Sandy Beach

Lincoln's Sparrow - 2 near Birch Bay

White-throated Sparrow - 3 or 3 on the Red Deer trail

Evening Grosbeak - several at different locals

Boreal Chickadee - several at different locales

Winter Wren - 2 at Beaver Glen Campsite and 1 at the Hanging Hearts
Lake site.

Caspian Tern - a lone individual at the Waskesiu Marina

Boreal Owl - 2 at the Beaver Glen campground, calling for about 20 minutes late in the evening . It was a real nice experience to hear these. I now wish I'd recorded them , but the bugs that night were everywhere ! My wife saw sense and stayed in the car while I tried to get views with my flashlight.

Northern Saw-whet Owl - I returned to Beaver Glen the following morning and heard one bird calling briefly.

Western Wood Pewee - my wife and I hear one give its call while we are atop the lookout at the Spruce River Trail. Lifer !

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1 find one of these disturbing a pair of Three-toed Woodpeckers.

Pileated Woodpecker - 1 at the Red Deer Trail and another near Beaver Glen calling.

Belted Kingfisher - Several were seen .

Bald Eagle - several seen, but mostly juveniles.

Osprey - 1 along the main lake

American Black Bear - 1 adolescent on the narrows trail. This was also a lifer and a real thrill to see one so close.

Woodchuck - another mammal I had never seen before, even though we have been to the park many times . There were 3 of these . 2 along the scenic route , and I found one at the golf course about 6 O' clock one morning.

American Beaver - 1 renovating its lodge at the river.

Comma Butterfly - a species I have not seen before.


Here are a few photos :

Woodchuck



Connecticut Warbler



Common Merganser



Bald Eagle





Comma Butterfly



Goldeneye & Chicks



Black Bear



Caspian Tern



Lincoln's Sparrow



Great Blue Heron



American Redstart



Evening Grosbeak




White-throated Sparrow



Barn Swallow

12 comments:

John Theberge said...

Another fantastic series, I like the redstart photo with its open beak. You were lucky to see the bear too, I've only seen three in the wild in my life and no camera each time.

kjpweb said...

Excellent - seems you hit the jackpot! And you delivered! Great images - each one of them.
Thank you for sharing and Cheers, Klaus!

LiaL said...

Awesome, as usual! Your photos inspire me to go out and "shoot" wildlife near our farm. So far only birds but I have been very pleased with some of my shots. Thanks so much for your inspiration and I look forward to more photos.

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking folks. On the first day of being there I was going through a bit of a photography slump, with nothing really happening. Then on the last day ( as per usual ) things got better ! :-)

Nick S said...

John, that was the first time I'd ever seen a Bear in the wild, so you can imagine the excitement :-)
My wife actually spotted him while I was looking down cleaning my camera lens !

Nick S said...

Thanks Barb ! :-)

Leedra said...

You saved the best for last. The Barn Swallow is awesome.

Shelley said...

Nick - what a magnificent day - it was a nature feast!!

Rocky M said...

A fine series of photos my friend.Looks like the warblers proved to be elusive though.I had the same kind of experience at Riding Mountain last year.Just when things started heating up and I was finding some birds it was time to go.:o)

Nick S said...

Thanks Shelly :-)

Yeah Rocky, apart from the Conneticut Warbler all the others had to be seen by cranking my neck back :-)
The Redstart photo was taken from high up on a viewing platfrom at Spruce River.

The Birdlady said...

Well worth waiting for! They are so wonderful! I'm thinking if I had to choose, which thankfully I don't, I'd have to pick the redstart - he looks more like he's yawning than singing!

Joshua E. Bourne said...

The Ampallang AND Apadravya both zip with the thick fibrous tissue of an head of an penis itself. your current initial is actually horizontal, your current latter vertical. because the That is thought to enhance sensitivity, your own piercing involving solution pertaining to circumcised men will be the Dydoe, although This really is possible with regard to those that has a foreskin. read more