Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Clavet, Bradwell & Cheviot Lake

On Sunday I went out for an afternoon drive with some friends.
We did some birding around Clavet, Bradwell and Cheviot Lake and I picked up a new year bird, a Sedge Wren, which brings my list up to 218 species for 2008 and counting...
Another highlight was finding a group of Sandhill Cranes with 4 young birds in tow , indicating that they must have bred here this summer which is quite rare .
Shorebirds seem to be arriving back already, with Stilt, Pectoral and Semipalmated Sandpipers in good numbers.
We also found a few Baird's , Solitary and a lone Upland Sandpiper, aswell as the usual suspects such as Marbled Godwit, Willet, Wilson's Phalarope and Killdeer.
One slough we stopped by, had 6 Sora Rails scurrying around. I don't think I've ever seen that many in one place before.

I didn't take alot of photos as we stayed in the car for the most part, but here are 2 from the trip :

Muskrat - this little fellow was munching on some vegetation :



Sora - one of 6 individuals. Check out those feet ! :

9 comments:

kjpweb said...

Oh my - these shots are outstanding. Love the Sora Rail! The other day I caught my 1st Purple Gallinule youngster! Their feet/body ration is even more extreme. ;)
Good work!
Cheers, Klaus

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words Klaus. I'd love to see a Purple Gallinule ! :-)

Shelley said...

Those feet made me laugh out loud! Glad I got to see what the Sora looked like.

The Birdlady said...

Wow! Great images.

Nick S said...

thanks for the nice comments everyone :-)

John Theberge said...

Wow, great photo of the muskrat and he posed for you perfectally and you were able to capture it, awesome.

Nick S said...

Thanks John. Its nice when they co-operate like that :-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

These are great. That muskrat looks adorable and I can't get over the size of those feet on the bird! It just looks abnormal. I know there must be a reason its feet are so big but I can't imagine what it is.

Nick S said...

Thanks for the comment. This Sora is a youngster, I'm sure he'll grow into those feet :-)