Saturday, July 19, 2008

Greenwater Lake Provincial Park

Straight from Waskesiu we travelled to Porcupine Plain and then onto Hudson Bay to visit relatives.
I stopped off at Greenwater Lake one morning for some birding and also got a couple of wildflowers along the roadsides at Hudson Bay.
Greenwater Lake is a beautiful place this time of year but can get quite busy .

Highlights were :

Chestnut-sided Warbler ( lifer ) - 2
Veery - 2 or 3
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Black & White Warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 2
American Redstart - 3
Yellow Warbler - 2
White-throated Sparrow - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Red-breasted Merganser - 1 with chicks
Mink

Here are some photos :

Yellow Iris - I stand corrected, my friend Ron and now my wife informs me that this is just a plain old Iris and not the more exotic Bladderwort :-)



Red Paintbrush - This plant actually varies in colour ranging from Red to Pink :



Chestnut-sided Warbler - seeing this bird was a thrill as I'd never seen one before.
I had found one earlier in the day but not had a chance to get a photo, so I was very happy when I found this one near a creek at Greenwater Lake :




Black & White Warbler - Having dipped on seeing this species at Waskesiu it was great to find one individual within the woods at Greenwater :



American Redstart - This female was intrigued by my 'pishing' and hopped on a branch to see what was going on :



Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - This individual kept returning to its favorite tree to drink the sap, as you can see from the many holes it had made :


7 comments:

kjpweb said...

Precious shots - all of them - though the last one is my (secret) favorite! :)
Cheers, Klaus

Nick S said...

Thanks Klaus. The last one is one of my favorites too :-)

The Birdlady said...

Nick, this was delightful! After bluebirds, warblers are my favorites! And these photos are great. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yellow irises are beautiful anyway I think!
What about a sapsucker: is it some kind of a woodpecker by any chance? I've never seen such here..

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. Yes, the Sapsucker is indeed a Woodpecker.

John Theberge said...

Fantastic shot of the sapsucker. I've only seen one back and white warbler in my life and I didn't have my camera with me when I did.

Nick S said...

Thanks John. The Sapsucker was fairly co-operative. Its a shame that all the Warblers except for the Chestnut-sided, were under the forest canopy which didn't give me a lot of light to play with, but who's complaining :-)