Wednesday, July 8, 2009

More Photos From Beauval

I've been very busy of late, and have only just recently gotten through some of the photos I wanted to share from my recent trip up north.
I just returned from Hudson Bay where I have photos to share from that trip also.

So meanwhile , here's the rest from Beauval ( Click to see full size )

Winter Wren - This energetic little songster was serenading us close to the cabin every night :




Prickly Rose with Crab Spider - These lovely, fragrant wild roses are quite common, but not everyone might have ever seen it's guest, the waiting Crab Spider. Instead of spinning a web, this little arachnid will ambush its victims from flower heads, often preying on bees and other flying insects :



Magnolia Warbler - I didn't see or hear too many Warblers around, but on the last morning I heard and then located this beautiful male Magnolia Warbler on a White Spruce :



Wood Lily - The floral emblem of Saskatchewan often called Western Red Lily or Tiger Lily :



Sandhill Crane - This was found on the first day in a roadside field :



Woodchuck - I only saw my first of these last year in Prince Albert National Park. This little guy, a relative of Marmots and bigger than our ground squirrels, I found in a clearing in the forest :

15 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great photos.I especially like the rose.
Blessings,Ruth

Jann said...

You have a wonderful blog with gorgeous photos!

John Theberge said...

Another lovely batch of photos. The woodchuck is quite common around here but I don't have any nice photos like yours.

Chris Petrak said...

Great Winter Wren - I haven't been able to get them into the open. The ground hog, on the other hand, (or woodchurck as they say in VT) has been easy to photo - thru the kitchen window while it eats my seed & flowers. sometimes I wish I could shoot with something other than a camera :)

Andor Marton said...

Excellent shots - especially the Winter Wren and that little cute guy, the Woodchuck.

holdingmoments said...

Great set as always Nick. The Winter Wren is very much like ours here; I'm guessing similar size, and equally good, powerful singer.
That Woodchuck is stunning mate. Great detail.

Kelly said...

Oh! The Winter Wren is so sweet, and the Magnolia Warbler is gorgeous. Such perfect photos. I have yet to see a Sandhill Crane...amazing you found him in a roadside field!

Andrea said...

Found my way here from HoldingMoments. Your work is beautiful.

Nick S said...

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Peggy said...

I found the wild rose to be of particular interest. Upon closer inspection, capturing the droplets on both sides of the bloom was an interesting find!

Randy Emmitt said...

Nick,

All top shelf work! I'll be back for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Shelley said...

Nick - you really should publish a photo book w/ all your beautiful photos!!

Suzanne said...

Nick,

Gorgeous photos as always! I love the pose on the woodchuck and the red fur shining in the sunlight is beautiful.

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. A book is planned at some point :-)

Tina said...

Excellent photos, Nick. That sandhill crane is next on my list. We are going to visit a place where there supposedly are many of these cranes..can't wait. thanks for the pre-view..