Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Birding around Beauval

I have just returned from a stay at Little Amyot Lake, not far from the town of Beauval, SK.
While there, I also found time to bird the areas of La Loche , Buffalo Narrows , Beaver River and Peter Pond Lake.
The weather for the most part was excellent, with mostly sunny days and a few scattered showers.
A recent plough wind had ripped through the Amyot sub-division and wrecked havoc, with many fallen trees blocking off the main trail around the lake, forcing me to bushwhack and find an alternate route.
Warblers were not that plentiful with only a few actually calling.
Finding a total of 80 species of birds while there, here are some highlights in
no particular order : ( * indicates new for the year )

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher* - I usually only see one of these in a year, so now
the pressure is off ! This one individual was perched on a bridge handrail at
Peter Pond Lake.
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Black & White Warbler - 3
Tennessee Warbler - 5
Common Yellowthroat - 3
Mourning Warbler - 1
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 10
Western Tanager* - 2
Turkey Vulture - 7
Osprey - 2
Bald Eagle - 2
Winter Wren - 2
Barred Owl - 2 , calling at 3am the first night. I located them the next
morning.
Boreal Owl - 1 calling at 5am on the first morning.
Red Crossbill* - 5 . I didn't see this species at all last year, so this was
nice.
Pine Siskin - 7
Common Redpoll - 2
Dark-eyed Junco - 1
Northern Goshawk - 1
Merlin - 9
American Kestrel - 4
Alder Flycatcher - 2
Great Blue Heron - 5
Bonaparte's Gull - 2
Red-breasted Merganser - 2
Common Goldeneye - 2
Common Loon - 3
Belted Kingfisher - 3
Spotted Sandpiper - 6
Gray Jay - 2
Swamp Sparrow - 2
White-throated Sparrow - 5
Lincoln's Sparrow - 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 2
Veery - 1
Hermit Thrush - 2
Pileated Woodpecker - 2

Here is the male Barred Owl ( click to enlarge )
There are more photos to come from this trip...



Here he is hooting at me. Such a wonderful thing to see up close..

15 comments:

Tina said...

Nick,
What a pose and you captured his surprise look really nicely. Such detail! Lovely..
I have to say that
I do think of you when I wake up to the sounds of a mocker who insists on starting his day way before me..how I wish I could capture him and send him your way!! ;-)

Nick S said...

Thanks Tina :-) I never did find the two I looked for, but they can be quite elusive.
I'm sure there will be more reports in the future, and even another one this winter.

holdingmoments said...

80 species of birds on the trip? Nearly as many as I've seen all year! lol
Fantastic list mate.
Beautiful Owl shot Nick. Looking straight at you, and wondering, 'what's the fuss?'
Great shot.

Peggy said...

Fantastic that you got the Barred without leaves and other distractions! What a pose too! You sure can find em! Excellent photo and waiting for more...

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
Gosh, that was a trip. 80 species, that's a lot man!! And the pictures of the owl is just perfect! A marvelous shot! Well done, I'm eager to see the rest of the pictures.

Jotter Jan said...

Who...who...gets some of the best wildlife and bird shots I've seen??? Why I think it's Nick from Saskatchewan! Although I don't have much time to visit blogs anymore...I love to check in and see your gorgeous photo's when I get the chance!!!

Shelley said...

This is such a great owl pose Nick! Looks like you surprised him! :-)

Nick S said...

I was imitating their call, so I think he was more curious than anything :-)
I left them alone after 5 minutes as I didn't want to harrass them.

Unknown said...

Beautiful images of the Owl Nick. I like near eye-level composition in the first image. The details are stunning in both images...Thomas

Kelly said...

...ahhhhh....that face is just too wonderful. Their eyes say it all--I love these little fellows. Such a beautiful capture as well. Sounds like a fun trip--can't wait to see more photos.

Barbara Martin said...

Wonderful detail in the photos.

Andor Marton said...

80 species on a single trip? That's a huge number. I think I saw in 2 weeks in Brazil no more than 150 species. That lake seems to be very reach in wildlife. The owl shots are clear and very good.

Philip said...

Beautiful shots Nick As you know Owls are one of ny favorite

AMIT said...

A perfect photos taken.Thanks for that.

Alternative energy

Unknown said...

I was just up at Buffalo Narrows. Would you happen to know what the big black birds with long Necks in the lake there are? A local called it a "Crow duck" but I can't find that anywhere. They fish and the pelicans steal from them.