Saturday, June 6, 2009

Singers, Shorebirds and more...

I recently notched up a sort-of lifer during the week. I found a male Canada Warbler skulking on one of the lower trails of a local park. I have only ever heard one , and never actually seen one until now.
I wish I could have gotten a decent photo, but he was very deep in the brush, still.. he has the distinction of becoming my 211th bird of the year :-)

I don't want to fall too far behind on sharing new photos, so here is another set of recently found birds...

Red-eyed Vireo - This inquisitive singer was at a local park during the week :



Sanderling - This breeding plumage bird was near Clavet :



Cliff Swallow - Very fast & hard to photograph. This was taken on the May Bird Count :



American Redstart - Here's a singing male from Pike Lake :



Veery - Another songster, this Thrush was also at a local park during the week :



American Avocet - From yesterday at Goose Lake :



American Robin - From very early one morning at a local park :



Chipping Sparrow - From my recent trip to Candle Lake :



Swainson's Thrush - From around my ow neighbourhood :

15 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Nick, your shots never cease to amaze me. All top notch stuff mate.

Well done on the Cliff Swallow; if they're anything like our Swallows, then if I wore a hat, I'd take it off to you.
But the star for me, is the Red-eyed Vireo. That is a superb shot, and a perfect background.

Chris Petrak said...

I also especially liked the Cliff Swallow - & isn't it frustrating when those birds never show themselves

JPT said...

Great shots - particularly the blurred backgrounds.

Mike said...

Stunning Nick and another fine collection of birds, keep em comin mate.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a wonderful assortment of birds.Too bad the Canada Warbler did ot give you a chance for good pictures,they are so beautiful.
Blessings,Ruth

FAB said...

Another superb collection Nick, especially the detail on the Cliff Swallow in flight.

Kelly said...

...gosh...such beautiful photos, all of them! Love the coloring on the Cliff Swallow, a very beautiful bird, and your Red-eyed Vireo is gorgeous. Always love the Avocets....I still have not seen one.

Chris said...

Wonderful post NIck, I love the american avocet, it is a cool picture, with a nice attitude... Well done mate!

Anna Simpson said...

Fantastic photographs here Nick - I especially like the Sanderling. I have only ever seen a few of these in the UK, unfortunately I do not have any pictures.

Keep up the great work.

John Theberge said...

I know what you mean when you say swallows are hard to photograph. I have a pair of tree swallows building a nest in one of my birdhouses. I spent this weekend trying to get in flight photographs but had no luck.

Shelley said...

I wish I could have one of your birding days Nick!! :-)
All beautiful - that Avocet is a neat looking bird!

lazyclick said...

What a lovely set of birds. Lavely shots.

Nick S said...

Thanks everyone. Shelley, you'll have to start going out more and exploring the area where you live :-)

Tina said...

Nick,
Wonderful shots!! Getting a barn swallow in flight is tough!! They are such fast and zippy fliers to catch.
You really did a great job!

Barbara Martin said...

Excellent photos.