Friday, June 19, 2009

Eurasian Collared-Dove and more catching up

A pair of Eurasian Collared-Dove's have found their way into town and have taken up residence it seems in a Spruce Tree in one of the older neighbourhoods.
This species of Dove is gradually expanding its range and small populations can now be found in many towns in Saskatchewan. Pretty soon they will be as common as Mourning Doves at this rate.
Here is one of the pair on lookout duty :

Eurasian Collared-Dove




Here are some new photos from my travels ..( best viewed full size )

Red Fox Pups - This was taken as my friend and I were on our way home from completing our May bird count :




Common Nighthawk - This Nighthawk was taking a break from catching flies, about 40 feet up a dead snag, close to the Nisbet Forest last Saturday :



Dark-eyed Junco - Here's one from a recent stay at Candle Lake.



Osprey - An Osprey over Meewasin Park in May :



Swainson's Hawk - This handsome bird was also on our May bird count :



Willet - From a trip out to Goose Lake early one morning this month :



Red-eyed Vireo - And finally, here's a portrait of a Red-eyed Vireo I found at a local park in late May :

16 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Great shots Nick, and that Red Fox pup; well, after the Owls, and now this.....you gotta stop all these 'cute' pictures. It's making me all soft mate. lol

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
Wow man, there are so many beautiful shots in this post that I'm just stunned and cannot really choose. I love the osprey flying, but what about the last one!! or the fox shots!!! I mean wow!!! Very impressive quality of pictures and wonderful shots!! All of them... Great job mate!

Unseen India Tours said...

Fantastic Shots !! Really loved the Fox she is looking so cute...Great Ones...Unseen Rajasthan

Nick S said...

Thankyou friends :-)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pictures.My favorites are the little Foxes and the Red-eyed Vireo.That portrait is exceptioal.
Blessings,Ruth

Kelly said...

...holy moly...one fantastic shot after another. The red eye on the vireo is stunning. (...and our little Dark-eyed Juncos...looks like you're keeping them very well.) I've seen Common Nighthawks in the sky at dusk a lot. I love looking up and seeing those barred wings, but I've never seen one sitting or within camera shot. Great capture. The pups are adorable...

JPT said...

I have Collared Doves that visit my garden, always in a pair.

Tina said...

Wow what neat pictures..that red-eyed vireo close up is just down right awesome!! Nice catch!

Unknown said...

Fab series Nick. Those images of the fox pups are mesmerizing...Thomas

The Birdlady said...

Nick, the little fox is so adorable - it made me smile and smile. Your birds are, as always, wonderful - the last one, of the vireo, is stunning!

Rocky M said...

Wonderful images Nick ! Congrats on getting your Nighthawk you wanted as well as the foxes.I had found both Coyote and Fox dens but they managed to duck under before I could get any decent images.:(

NatureStop said...

Greetings from Oman!Wow!really enjoyed those great images.

John Theberge said...

All fantastic shots but the head shot of the vireo is particularly outstanding. I didn't think the 100-400 lens focused that close.

Nick S said...

Many thanks guys for the nice words.
John, I was at the lenses limit at 400mm.
It can actually be a great macro lens at times.

Peggy said...

O.k. to start off, what an amazing set of photos of some real rareties! That said, I have to single out the Nighthawk! Wow! I can only wish...The fox kits! Come on! You see the greatest things on such a regular basis! The Red-eyed Vireo--Holy cow! What a close up!

Anonymous said...

All beautiful but I especially like the photo of the Dove on top of the tree. Perfect Xmas card shot Nick.

SS