Saturday, July 11, 2009

Warblers along the Red Deer River Valley

Last weekend , I participated in a songbird point count census along the Red Deer River Valley, east of Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan near the Manitoba border, with a renowned local birder.

The country up there is wonderful and despite the biting insects, bushwhacking through 6ft high soaking wet ferns and climbing over slippery deadfall, I would do it all again next week ! :-)

We found quite a good number of Warblers on their breeding grounds, including a nice look at a female American Redstart on her nest.

Here are the highlights over 2 days :

Black-throated Green Warbler - lifer - This bird has eluded me for years, so this was a real treat.
Canada Warbler
Mourning Warbler
Nashville Warbler ( New for the year )
Blackburnian Warbler ( New for the year )
Cape May Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Black-billed Cuckoo - This was a nice surprise to hear one this far north ( new for the year )
Cooper's Hawk
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Spruce Grouse
Pileated Woodpecker
Moose

Here are some photos :


Black-throated Green Warbler
- My first ever look at this species. I endured many mosquito bites for this picture !..



Canada Warbler - This Warbler, I'd only ever had one brief look at before, and that was here in town earlier during the spring. I saw a couple during the day of our survey and then found this co-operative male in the same forest area as the Black-throated Green, later in the afternoon :


12 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Those pictures are worth some discomfort.:)
Blessings,Ruth

Kelly said...

Gosh! Those birds are gorgeous, and you're so close. I saw the Black-throated Green this spring, but he was high in the tree. For these photos, enduring the horrible little mosquitoes was worth it! After looking through your list, I have no idea what a Spruce Grouse is. I'm going to have to look him up!

NatureStop said...

Nice images.

Mike said...

Nice shots Nick, I've got to get over there at some point..

Chris Petrak said...

great warbler photos - I've missed the Canada so far - and Cape May I don't even expect - interesting how the expected species very across the continent - BTGW is common in our woods

holdingmoments said...

Congratulations on the ‘lifer’ mate. And what a list of Warblers; I have trouble trying to ID the few we have here lol

Sounds like a great trip, and you’ve got some superb pictures too. The eyes on the Canada Warbler look huge!

Susan Ellis said...

Beautiful photos! Point Pelee in May is wonderful too - not as many bugs..and full of warblers. BTW -I have several of your photos on my computer as my screensaver, they're stunning, and very distracting when people are trying to talk to me, but they keep seeing all these great shots behind me! Takes the conversation in all sorts of directions!

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-)

Andor Marton said...

I can understand very well, why you want to do it again ;-)
All 3 shots are excellent ... I wait for more.

Unknown said...

All the efforts seems to have paid off well. The first shot of that warbler is a stunning composition.

FAB said...

Hi Nick. That list would have made my day too. I remember a glimpse of Black-throated Green in the fall but never got to find Cape May. FAB shots my friend.

Nick S said...

Thankyou friends, much appreciated.