Saturday, April 25, 2009

Short-eared Owl

Last night , myself and two friends headed out in chilly conditions to partake in an Owl survey.
The weather over the past few days had been very windy, so last night we were treated to only minimal gusts of 4k and sometimes less, but it was actually below freezing!
The sky was clear, the stars were bright and it was pretty much perfect!
On the way up to our location, as the sun had just gone down and the sky was a beautiful pink colour, I noticed something sitting on a signpost, and was elated to see it was a Short-eared Owl, a species I have rarely seen, let along photographed.
Infact ,I did not see one at all last year.
As the night went on, things got better as we found yet another Short-eared Owl and 4 Great Horned Owls.

We found some more new birds for the year :

Lesser Yellowlegs
Wilson's Snipe ( calling )
Blue-winged Teal
Canvasback
Ruffed Grouse ( drumming )

Mammals were :

Coyote
Beaver
White-tailed Deer
Mule Deer


Short-eared Owl


15 comments:

FAB said...

Nick, if these are your 1st pics of Short-eared Owl then they are spot on with the facial detail plus the long beard. The 2nd shot is so typicaal when they move their head seeking out minute sounds.
Well done.

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
These are really cool pictures, but I guess it was maybe there just observing you!!! Very nice attitude on the second one like Frank said. Well done.

holdingmoments said...

Beautiful shots of the Owl Nick.
Never seen one myself; they're beauties!

2sweetnsaxy said...

How exciting...at least it would be to me. Beautiful shots.

Kelly said...

... spectacular. I love his face (and of course, your photos are perfect). I am a night owl by nature and often have a hard time with the early morning birding hours, but night birding would be right down my alley. I'll have to look for some owl hunts around here.

Jayne said...

Short eared? How about invisible eared??? :c) Beautiful shots Nick!

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking guys :-)

Shelley said...

In the 2nd photo - it looked like something caught that owl's eye! :)
Beautiful as always Nick!

Rocky M said...

Great shots Nick!,congrats I haven't found one in the last couple years.

NCmountainwoman said...

Beautiful photographs of the owl. Great detail and lighting.

Tina said...

Nick, Your "outtings" are always so eventful.. just love what you find and your pics are always so nice..I would love to see this guy!!

John Theberge said...

Wonderful photos, I love that pink pastel background.

Philip said...

Nick well this is the first time I have seen this Owl am I mistaken or does it look like he has a bib on !

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-) Yes, it does look like a fancy bib !

thekyleguy said...

great shots as usual. I enjoy following this blog. Makes me want to get out.