Thursday, April 16, 2009

Gulls & a Great Horned Owl

Last week, I found what I believed to be an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull close to the QEII Power Plant, but did not have any decent photos for verification.
Luckily the gull made another appearance last night when myself and members of the Nature Society found it among the thousands of other gulls which consisted of Ring-billed, Herring , California and 5 Franklin's Gulls, all sat on a sandbar opposite the plant.
Update alert - This Gull could now well be the Slaty-backed , I recently found.

Slaty-backed Gull ? - Unfortunately when I decided to take photos of the bird, it decided it was nap time !



California Gull - These two made us all chuckle as they sat on this little iceberg drifting along with the current of the river :



Ring-billed Gull - One of many :



Great Horned Owl

This Owl sits in a tree close to where his mate is on a nest at Pike Lake.
This shot was taken last week :

15 comments:

JRandSue said...

Nick,what a fantastic "Great-Horned- Owl"Image.
Stunning pic and Blog.
John,thank you for your comments.

Shelley said...

Love that Owl's ears! Fantastic photos!

holdingmoments said...

Beautiful shot of the Owl Nick.
Gulls are one species to identify I just can't get to grips with. I need a lot more practice; and patience :)

Nick S said...

Thanks everyone. Yes, Gulls can be tough, but every year, I seem to learn more about them and their different plumage's. Young one's can be very tough to ID at a distance.

Philip said...

Nick you Owl shots are always so clear and sharp GREAT!

Nick S said...

Thanks Phil, glad you enjoy them.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pictures.I was surprised when I opened my Birds and Blooms Extra and saw the article about, or by you.Congrats.The story and photos were most interestng
Blessings,Ruth

Nick S said...

Thanks Ruth. I'm still waiting to see that issue myself !

Rocky M said...

Hey Nick,your turning into quite the gull watcher there bud.lol Great shots especially the GH Owl which seems to be one of my nemesis species. Can't find them or can't get near them.;-)

Nick S said...

Well, gull watching comes with the territory lol.
Thanks for the nice comments :-)

Tina said...

Nick,
WOW what a shot of the great horned owl..how awesome!! Just love the coloring on that bird and you captured it with just the right amt of light!!

Nick S said...

Thanks Tina. I was happy with the angle as it really showed of those 'horns' .

Kelly said...

...the owl is just beautiful. I like his coloring, which is a little grayer than our Great Horned Owls. I'm starting to slowly learn more about gulls, being land-locked, I lack exposure...beautiful photos of them.

Nick S said...

Thanks Kelly. Do you not get them along the rivers or lakes where you are?

Kelly said...

...we get them around the lakes, but I don't live close to these larger lakes and only know the basic gulls. I'm learning more and more slowly by going out to the Oxbow and other larger lakes in my area where the gulls hang out.