Sunday, April 12, 2009

Recent Finds

I've been birding quite alot since my last post, and taking lots of photos.
New species for the year include :

Killdeer - 1 at Gabriel Dumont Park
Snow Goose - several flocks over Gabriel Dumont and the river.
Red-winged Blackbird - 1 at Chappell Marsh
Greater White-fronted Goose - A flock of 50 flying over Pike Lake

We had our first Dark-eyed Juncos in our yard last night around 6pm. I have been seeing this species off and on over the past couple of weeks, including a few at my local park.
I'm looking forward to seeing more, along with the migrant Sparrows, Warblers and much more over the next few weeks.

Here are some new photos from the past week :

Western Meadowlark



Northern Harrier



Black-billed Magpie



American Tree Sparrow

12 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Lovely photos! I look so forward to heading south and seeing my first meadowlark of the season!

FAB said...

Stunning shots Nick. I'm sure I can hear the Meadowlark's song even though I'm far away!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great shots of some spring migrants.
Blessing,Ruth

holdingmoments said...

Great shots again Nick.
That Black-billed Magpie looks very similar to our Magpies' over here.

Kelly said...

...just beautiful. I always love seeing your photos. The little American Tree Sparrow has such a jaunty little look to him...

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-)

Jayne said...

I love that meadowlark... now, if yo could just add his song to the photo. ;c)

Tina said...

Gorgeous Nick,
These picture look just like Spring post cards!!
I would still love to see a meadowlark..I didn't realize how big these birds were...for some reason I thought them to be much smaller!!

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking :-) Yes, they are about Robin-sized, and boy can they sing!

Shelley said...

All beautiful Nick! I don't think that Meadowlark could open his beak any wider! LOL!

Philip said...

Excellent shots Nick the shot of the Northern Harrier hovering is incredible great work :)

Nick S said...

Thanks everyone !