Monday, April 27, 2009

River Birds

More new species are arriving every day and migration seems to be in full swing.
I'm playing catch up time right now, as I have taken so many photos and will post new one's every other day.

So, here are some photos from the river last week, followed by a recent list of new year birds...

Common Loon - There were 10 of these on the river, the most I have seen here in the city.



Mallard



Green-winged Teal



Canada Goose



Ring-billed Gull



American Robin



Here are some new species I have seen over the past few days :

Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Loggerhead Shrike
Red-breasted Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Pied-Billed Grebe
Western Grebe
Eared Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Common Loon - 25
Tundra Swan
American White Pelican
Ross's Goose - 10 ( new for the year )
Hermit Thrush
Eastern Phoebe
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Tree Swallow
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Mourning Dove
American Avocet
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Marbled Godwit
Long-billed Curlew
Savannah Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Purple Finch

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Nice....I have not yet seen a Green-winged Teal (just the Blue-winged). He is gorgeous!! The Loon is great...

Unknown said...

Cool series. The shot of the green winged teal is my pick from this series.

holdingmoments said...

Racking up some great sightings Nick. I could only dream of seeing some of those mate. Good to see your pictures of them. Makes up for it.

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
Very impressive list of birds you observed. What you call the common loon is called the great northern diver here, and they still did not arrive, while the red-throated diver has arrived last year. I love these birds very much, they are so colourful.
Here migrants also arrive every day, with the most recent one being the northern wheatear, the brant goose, the turnstone and golden plover as you saw on my blog, but many are still to come, like the puffins, the guillemots, the dunlin and so on...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Hello Nick, it was kind of you to visit my site again. WOW!! I see you have been very busy again. I love that Teal and the owl a few blogs back.

This time of year is really going to be hectic trying to record all the migrants and other birds. I hope you find time to sleep.:)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great photos.I always look forward to seeing the Loons each year.
Blessings,Ruth

The Birdlady said...

Wonderful!

Shelley said...

I kept looking at that Loon photo forever!! All your photos were beautiful but I can never get enough of the Loon. Everyone seems to be getting these fantastic Loon photos except for me! This weekend I'm going to try the Kayak method...

Mike said...

Another stunning collection Nick, all beautiful and detailed, nice one :)

Nick S said...

Many thanks guys.
Shelly, I think with Loons you have to be mostly patient and hope they re-surface close to you. I would love to try the Kayak method one of these days though and get a real 'Loon's eye view' of things :-)