Monday, February 16, 2009

GBBC - Days 3, 4 & 5

On day 2, I set out like the lone ranger , a black scarf wrapped round my face to keep out the -25 wind-chill and about 3 layers of clothes.
I had a great 2 hours checking out Buena Vista Park and some surrounding back alleys, but still ended up with a freezing face. The mask becomes annoying after awhile. I have no idea how Batman does it.
For day 3 , myself and 5 members of the Nature Society walked around Montgomery, spending 2 hours looking around for signs of birdlife.
Today, ( day four ) the weather turned nasty again, with overcast skies and falling snow, but a few birds were still found of course :-)

Here are the 20 species I was able to see during the count period :

Dark-eyed Junco
American Robin
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Northern Flicker
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-winged Crossbill
Bohemian Waxwing
Blue Jay
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
House Finch
Black-capped Chickadee
Common Redpoll
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Rock Pigeon
Mallard
Common Goldeneye
House Sparrow

Some photos...

Sharp-shinned Hawk
:



Hairy Woodpecker :



Common Redpoll :

10 comments:

Kelly said...

WOW! I love that redpoll photo (with a windchill of -25, no wonder he's so fluffed up), and the Hairy Woodpecker is really cute too...and the Sharp-shinned, fierce. Glad you were able to brave the cold... Your photos are always so radiant and crisp.

Nick S said...

Thanks Kelly, glad you like the pics :-)

Kim said...

Love the sharp skinned and redpoll photo. Congrats and getting out there in that awful cold to count the birds!

Nick S said...

Thanks Kallen , you get kind of used to that weather after awhile living here in Winter :-)

Shelley said...

Hi yo silver away!! Just kidding - loved the lone ranger reference! I wish I could take these kind of photos!

Philip said...

Nick
All of these shots are 10/10 so tack sharp well done! my favorite is the woodpecker.

Nick S said...

Thsnkd for looking guys :-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Terrific bird pictures as always Nick and it seems like a great list for your bird count. I am not sure I would have liked to be out in the freezing cold though. This day for counting should be in spring or summer. I do not think I could ever get used to cold like that but then if you are born there, it must be different.

Nick S said...

Hi Joan, I was born in the UK , but the cold is something you get used to once you've lived here for a few years :-)

Susan Ellis said...

HI there,
Just stumbled across your site, and love the photography! Originally from Lloyminster, one of my favourite views in the world is the first site of the Saskatchewan River heading out to North Battleford from Saskatoon -especially when there are skeins of geese drifting overhead! Miss it a lot.