Friday, February 13, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count Day 1

For the first day of the count, my friend and I spent an enjoyable couple of hours walking along the sheltered trails of Meewasin Park here in town.
We ended up finding 14 species.

Here is our list :

House Sparrow - 10
Black-capped Chickadee - 12
Black-billed Magpie - 5
Rock Pigeon - 4
Mallard - 4
Common Goldeneye - 3
Blue Jay - 3
Common Redpoll - 20
Dark-eyed Junco - 2 ( new for the year )
American Robin - 6
Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 5
Hairy Woodpecker - 4
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1

American Robin :



Black-billed Magpie :



Common Redpoll :

11 comments:

BirdingMaine said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures! The AMRO looks like a painting, really cool looking.

We recorded 21 species today in our backyard.

Nick S said...

Thank you sir. Just goes to show how many birds you get down there at this time of year ! :-)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Every one of your pictures is stunning.
Blessings,Ruth

2sweetnsaxy said...

Awesome shots! I don't know how you see so many birds. I'm luck if I see two. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at which is more likely.
:-D

2sweetnsaxy said...

P.S. The link in the post on your blogspot page referring to your new site links back to blogspot and not this one.

Jayne said...

All I seem to have to count are Pine Siskins and Goldfinches! Great first day count Nick!

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-) You mean this site :
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/howto.html

NCmountainwoman said...

Great photographs. I especially loved the Magpie...oh, and the Robin...oh, and the Redpoll.

Tina said...

Stunning pictures. I'm quite amazed at the birds you are finding for your count...my feeders are filled with starlings and pine siskins!! :)

Unknown said...

Nick : This is a beautiful series and the image of the American Robin is stunning

Shelley said...

That Robin w/ the berry in its mouth would make a beautiful card!But of course I love all the photos!