Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Great Backyard Bird Count 2009

The Great Backyard Bird Count is an annual four-day event that engages bird watchers of all ages in counting birds to create a real-time snapshot of where the birds are across the continent. Anyone can participate, from beginning bird watchers to experts. It takes as little as 15 minutes on one day, or you can count for as long as you like each day of the event. It’s free, fun, and easy—and it helps the birds.

Last year our province did very well. We always strive to beat the previous years tally of species found in Saskatchewan.
I encourage everyone with an interest in birds to take part. This count covers all of Canada and the United States.

Here is how to sign up :

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/howto.html

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I went to the GBBC page, and while looking at the photo of the Bohemian Waxwing I noticed your name beside it! That is very cool!!

Kim said...

I am going to be doing it all 4 days. I even took tomorrow off to get a head start. I can't wait.

holdingmoments said...

Sounds like the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch we have here at the end of January in the UK. A great idea.
Hope you get plenty Nick.

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. Yes, my friend and I did a walk along one of the riverbank trails and picked up 14 species. A nice start !

2sweetnsaxy said...

I wish I knew enough about birds to feel comfortable participating. There are only a few I've learned to recognize and I don't see how helpful that would be. I'd have our numbers down really low.
:-D