Tuesday, December 9, 2008

White-winged Crossbills at President Murray Park

Today, I foolishly braved minus 19 degree conditions to see what was hanging around President Murray Park and some nearby back alleys.
I hoped to find the Varied Thrush, Golden-crowned Kinglet and Brown Creeper, but none of those made an appearance during the 2 hours I was there.
I did however get a fleeting glimpse of a female Pine Grosbeak ( I still think this is the same bird I found awhile back).
I also had some nice binocular views of feeding White-winged Crossbills, intent on eating pine seeds.
Here is a full list of what I found plus a couple of photos :

House Finch - 15+
White-winged Crossbill - 20+
Pine Grosbeak - 1
Blue Jay - 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 5
Black-capped Chickadee - 6
Black-billed Magpie - 2
Merlin - 1

White-winged Crossbill - Once again, these proved extremely hard to photograph, seeing as they were at the very tips of the spruce trees for the most part :







10 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

They may have been hard to photograph,but you got some great shots.
Blessings,Ruth

Nick S said...

Thanks Ruth. I was almost leaning over backwards to get them :-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

19 below!? Wow. I can't even imagine. It was in the 70's here today. Your photos are great. You make it look like it was an easy shoot.
:-)

Jayne said...

Love that third photo Nick where you can really see the crossbill so well. :c)

Shelley said...

Nick - you are a trouper to brave that weather! I loved these shots - so scenic w/ the pinecones!

The Birdlady said...

Really really wonderful....I read "minus 19" and almost got too cold to scroll down! How did you ever manage the shutter?

Nick S said...

Thanks very much everyone. At one point my camera quit on me and I thought " gotta be the cold " , then I realized the battery had just gone, so I replaced it :-)
I wouldn't recommend birding in these conditions though. After 2 hours, even with two pairs of gloves on my fingers were going numb.

Mike said...

Amazing Nick, I travelled way up into Scotland to try and find crossbills and didn't see a single one, good to see your pics.

Nick S said...

Thanks everyone. Sorry you didn't see them in Scotland Mike . You should try again some time !

Unknown said...

Great pictures and just this morning I was sitting in the Hot Tub outside and these birds were doing exactly what you captured in your pictures. I never seen them at our place before, Thanks for your site to help me identify the bird.