Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve Birding

On Christmas Eve, seeing as it wasn't quite as cold as I was used to, I thought I'd walk around my neighborhood and see what I could find.
My biggest surprise was to find a Red-tailed Hawk that flew over the city, heading towards the general direction of the river.
This was a dark-phased bird that looked very similar to the one I saw last December at Holiday Park.
Maybe this will become a tradition and I will see these every December ! :-)

Here are my other findings for the day :

White-breasted Nuthatch - This is not a common bird in our area of town , so I was pleased to see this bird at a front yard feeder fairly close to home.

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Black-capped Chickadee

White-winged Crossbill

Hairy Woodpecker - another fairly uncommon bird in our local vicinity.

Downy Woodpecker - 1 male

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) - 3

House Finch - 2 flocks of about 10-15 birds.

Common Raven - 1

House Sparrow - 10-20 in almost every alley I looked.

Here are some photos :

Red-breasted Nuthatch



White-breasted Nuthatch



White-winged Crossbill



7 comments:

nosle todd said...

The images are excellent. It is great to have such a habit. One day a peculiar bird may get caught. happy new year 2009
nosle.com todd

Jayne said...

That Red breasted Nuthatch is adorable Nick!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Once again great pictures.When I look at your images it inspires me to try even harder to get good pictures.I love the clarity of each shot.
Blessings,Ruth

Heather said...

Whoa, did I ever stumble upon a jackpot when I found your blog! What beautiful pics Nick. Happy Boxing Day, from a fellow canuck.

Nick S said...

Thanks very much for your kind words everyone. Have a Happy New Year :-)

Mike said...

Stunning photos posted lately Nick, hope your having a great christmas.

Nick S said...

Thanks Mike. Merry Christmas to you and your family :-)