Monday, December 1, 2008

Birding The Nisbet Forest

Yesterday morning I set out with a friend to the Nisbet Forest , about 80 mins north of Saskatoon.

Once again I was treated to spring-like weather and the wind was almost non-existent.
There were many criss-crossing animal tracks on the ground , including Coyote , Fox , Squirrel, Snowshoe Hare, vole and Weasel.

Here is a list of the birds found :

Pileated Woodpecker - 1 bird made a quick fly-over us.
Black-backed Woodpecker - 1 male & one female
Hairy Woodpecker - 1 male
Boreal Chickadee - 2 heard
Gray Jay - 5
Blue Jay - 1
White-winged Crossbill - small flock of 10 flying overhead
Redpoll Species - small flock of around 20 flying overhead
Evening Grosbeak - 1 calling bird flying over
Pine Grosbeak - 5-6 birds flying over
Common Raven - 6
Black-capped Chickadee - 2 heard
Black-billed Magpie - 3

Here are three new photos ( click to see full size )


Gray Jay




Black-backed Woodpecker



Red Squirrel

12 comments:

John Theberge said...

Both awesome as usual, especially the gray jay photo.

Nick S said...

Thanks John,
I'm just getting to grips with my new camera .

2sweetnsaxy said...

Beautiful, as usual. You take such excellent photos.
:-)

Mike said...

Stunning as always Nick, love the Squirrel shot.

Shelley said...

The red squirrel photo just made me want to reach out and pet him - so cuddly! Now I'm trying to say black backed woodpecker 5 times in a row! What a tongue twister! :-)

Rocky M said...

Hi Nick,It's been a while since I've visited your blog my friend.Beautiful work and I'm very impressed with the output from the new camera!Gotta get me one.:)

Rocky

Nick S said...

Thanks everyone !

Jayne said...

That squirrel is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen Nick! What a wonderful capture!!!

NCmountainwoman said...

Very nice pictures, as always. My favorite is the woodpecker.

Peggy said...

Really good photos...loved the squirrel pose the most!

Unknown said...

Each image is awesome, but the image of the squirrel is just incredible pose and composition. The boken is amazing...Thomas

Essay Writing Papers said...

I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this blog on regular basis to take updated from most up-to-date news. Essay Writing | Writing Services