Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Surf Scoters at Gardiner Dam

While looking for a Yellow-billed Loon that was spotted earlier in the week , myself and 2 friends traveled out to Gardiner Dam to see if we could find it.
Unfortunately as is often the case with birding, we were unsuccessful, but did come away with a new year bird ( also a lifer for one of my friends )
The new bird was a pair of juvenile Surf Scoters, large sea ducks that breed in Alaska & Canada and usually winter in southern US along the coasts.
I couldn't get very close to them, and my vantage point was high up, but I just had to get a shot of them for my files.

We did find 4 Common Loons, checking them very carefully to make sure we didn't overlook anything !

Other highlights were an Osprey , a lingering Wilson's Warbler at the visitor centre keeping out of the strong gusting winds, plus 10 Harris's Sparrows, 2 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 White-throated Sparrow, 3 White-crowned Sparrows , 30+ Junco's , 1 American Tree Sparrow and 5 Bald Eagles.

Surf Scoter :

10 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Perfect picture.Too bad you missed the Loon,birds don't wait around.At least they never seem to for me.

Nick S said...

Thanks Ruth. I know , talk about right place wrong time :-)

The Birdlady said...

Still, an impressive list. The photo is very good, under the circumstances. Congratulations on a new one.

John Theberge said...

I've seen guys like these swinmming off the coast of Maine but I don't have any photographs to prove it.

Peggy said...

I love Scoters, they are so unusual looking...

and hard to find...

Nice composition and great find although the Loon got away...

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. I'd actually seen my first one last year. It was my buddy that got a new life bird :-)
Maybe next time I'll get the Loon !

Shelley said...

Very nice! I hope you find those Loons!!! I'd love to see the photos! Mine have now migrated.

kjpweb said...

Pretty cool nevertheless!
I'm very often at the exact right place.
.... to the wrong time. ;)
Cheers, Klaus

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-) They are not the most common of our birds.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Cool! :-)