Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Northern Shrike and more today...

This morning, a friend & I set out early and ventured over to Holiday Park.
As soon as we got there I decided to quickly check out the river.
I'm glad I did, because I spied a Northern Shrike actively hunting the few House Sparrows perched along some of the shrubs at the edge of the water.
This is the first Northern Shrike I have seen this fall.

Other birds seen at the park were:

White-winged Crossbill - At least 6
House Finch - 20+
Northern Flicker - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Common Redpoll - 5
Blue Jay - 2
Black-capped Chickadee - 9
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 6

On the way home we checked out part of Chapel Marsh where it was deadly quiet except for a lone American Coot, that was probably wishing it was somewhere else, as the water was completely frozen over.

Finishing up by checking out the Lakeshore Garden Nursery site on 11th St. I found a group of 10 Cedar Waxwings , 2 Blue Jays and a Downy Woodpecker.

Here are some photos :

Northern Shrike - unfortunately I couldn't get anywhere near him, but this will do for a record shot :



Black-capped Chickadee - Here's one I could get a bit closer too :



American Coot - I hope this bird decides its time to start flying south soon :

10 comments:

John Theberge said...

Lovely pose on that black capped chickadee. Another great "card" shot.

Nick S said...

Thanks John.

Shelley said...

your chickadee looked so sweet and your coot so intimidating - great shots! and I hope to see a shrike one day...

Peggy said...

Call it Lucky Shrike! Its a bird I have yet to find...ever! Loved the Chickadee & Coot!
I like the Coots weird feet!

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. I'll do my best to get a better photo of a Northern Shrike this winter, but they are not very obliging :-)

Mike said...

Nice pics Nick, the chickadee shot is so sharp, nice one, I've only ever seen a grey shrike, very similar to yours shown but it was a little white dot even through my telescope.

Nick S said...

Thanks Mike. I seriously have to come back to the UK sometime and do some birding there...

The Birdlady said...

Those are great! I just love that chickadee shot!

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking :-)

Unknown said...

11 or so bird species in a morning walk, that really quite something, I like the Coot the best.

Thomas