Tuesday, June 17, 2008

2 Swallows , a Mink and a Raven

A few days ago , a friend and I ventured out to the Blackstrap Lake area, and also around part of Brightwater Marsh, which is now completely dry.
Here are some photos taken on that trip ...

Common Raven - These don't often sit still long enough for a photo, but this handsome bird did, well, maybe for one second longer than normal anyway. The wind was blowing and exposed some of his undercoat :



Purple Martin - It was a nice surprise to find this lone bird sitting on a fence wire at eye level and not 30ft up on the top of a pole :



Tree Swallow - I never get bored of the beautiful coloration on these little insect eaters :



Mink - Here's a good advertisment for survival of the fittest. This stunning streamlined predator made short work of dispatching the hapless Richardson's Ground Squirrel when it popped its head out of its burrow :

11 comments:

The Birdlady said...

How decent of the swallow to pose on the barbed wire - makde for a great shot - all are nice, of course.

kjpweb said...

Excellent array of images. Again!
Have to see a mink in the wild yet!
Cheers, Klaus

Nick S said...

Many thanks to the both of you.
This is only the second time I've ever seen a Mink myself Klaus :-)

Shelley said...

I loved being able to see the mink having never seen one myself personally. That tree swallow certainly shines in your photo!

John Theberge said...

Great shot of the mink, I know how quick they can be. I was photographing a sunset on a northern lake a few years ago when I heard a sound behind me and when I looked I saw it was a mink. By the time I got my camera pointed in its direction it was already gone. That's the only one I've ever seen.

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. Yeah, that Mink was racing along . I fired off three quick shots, and that was the one that didn't show him blurred out ! :-)

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Nice sightings and beautiful pictures! The minks around here duck under cover the instant I see them.

Anna Simpson said...

What can I say. Your photographs are FANTASTIC!

Nick S said...

Thanks Anna. I really enjoy your blog too btw ! :-) Makes me very homesick

Anonymous said...

The first guy looks extremely proud of himself.
Tree swallow is shiny and looks brilliant!

2sweetnsaxy said...

That swallow is something else! Almost looks like a piece of metalic fabric over a cotton ball.

:-)