Saturday, June 7, 2008

Butterflies , Mammals and a few more Birds...

A few days ago , a friend and I thought we'd look around President Murray Park to see if there were any migrants still lingering around.
It ended up being fairly quiet there , but we still got to see a few species that tend to like that park because of all the Spruce Trees, such as White-winged Crossbill and Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
It was at this park that I noticed one of our more striking Butterflies sunbathing on a tree branch ...

Tiger Swallowtail :



We then tried another city park downtown were it was also fairly quiet.
We did find a couple of Warbling Vireos that chose to stay very high in the trees, also a Catbird, Yellow & Tennessee Warblers.

Warbling Vireo :



Gray Catbird - This one was in full song :



The next day was rainy, but I thought I'd go see what was along the river...

Yellow Warbler - I found this one right at the top of a hill overlooking the Weir. It was being blown about in the wind but still sang its heart out:



Gray Catbird - Here's one I found just north of the train bridge . I had to sneak the lens through some tree branches as the bird sensed I was close by :




Least Chipmunk: I saw a number of these accompanied by some Richardson's Ground Squirrels on the train tracks foraging for food. It took very kindly to a piece of coconut cookie I gave it :



Cottontail Rabbit - On the way home I cut through Cosmopolitan Park where this Rabbit made an appearance on the trail infront of me :

13 comments:

Rocky M said...

Great photos Nick ! Love the Gray catbird.That seems to be one of my nemesis species like the Horned Owl.I always seem to scare them off.:-)

Nick S said...

Thanks Rocky :-) They aren't always the easiest subjects that's for sure !

kjpweb said...

Wow Nick! You deliver the goods. Again!! The yellow Warbler shot is just mindblowing! Wonderful!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

Nick, those are all so wonderful! The yellow warbler photo is delightful - and the bunny -awww..

Nick S said...

Thankyou guys. I have only one more update from past photos then I'll be all caught up for once.
Then I have to go out and see what else I can find :-)

Shelley said...

I love coming to your site and seeing all the variety. The shot of the rabbit was interesting - he looked serious.

Anonymous said...

That is the first photograph I have ever seen of a Yellow Wabler! It is so great! I liked the others as well but that was spectacular!

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words guys :-)

April said...

Beautiful photographs! The little Yellow Warbler is precious - a fantastic image of the wind blowing his feathers. We have the swallowtails here now, too, and I've been having fun taking pictures of them. One ingredient needed is patience!

Nick S said...

Thanks April , yep patience goes a long way :-)

John Theberge said...

I'm always impressed with your bird photographs. The poses, lighting and composition are always perfect. Did you use your flash on the wind blown yellow warbler shot?

Nick S said...

Thanks John, I actually didn't need to use flash on the Warbler. The lighting although overcast was still just bright enough.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Some of these are so perfect its difficult to imagine they are actually real. Wonderful job! So, confess. Were you actually hanging out in the tree with those birds? :-)