Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wading birds and more near Goose lake

I recently took a couple of trips around part of Goose Lake & the sloughs near the town of Laura, Saskatchewan.
My Wife had never seen a Stilt before , so we were happy to find 2 on one particular evening, after finding out they were back in the area .
These elegant waders are not very common here, so it's always a treat to see them.

Here are some photos from those 2 trips :

Black-necked Stilt :
Shot around 6pm in fairly poor light so I opted to use my flash. Sometimes you have to just take what you can at the time and hope for the best. .



American Avocet :



Willet :



Marbled Godwit :



Upland Sandpiper - these are not that common either, so seeing this made me happy :



Horned Lark :



Western Meadowlark :



And lastly, the 2 most common Sparrows you will see on a drive in the country...

Vesper Sparrow :



Savannah Sparrow :

7 comments:

kjpweb said...

Those are top notch images! Hat's off! What are you paying those birds to pose for you like that? Excellent work!
Cheers, Klaus

Rocky M said...

Nice set of images Nick,as usual.I wish I would have been able to see the Black necked Stilts when they were at Valeport Marsh.The Avocet and Godwit are lovely as well.I think I prefer the shorebirds to the Gulls.:)

Happy shooting my friend,
Rocky

The Birdlady said...

Gosh, Nick! I'm glad I don't have to choose a favorite! If I did, though.....that willet and the horned lark would be in a tight race. All are spectacular!

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking guys :-)

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

These pictures are stunning, Nick!! Really great stuff!

Nick S said...

Thankyou ! Sometimes a car can act as a good blind, but it doesn't work everyime :-)

John Theberge said...

As always a fantastic series of photos.