Saturday, May 17, 2008

Say's Phoebe , American Bittern etc...

I recently went out with my friend Ron and did a 'dry run' for his bird-count sector which covers part of the Beaver Creek region and surrounding area.

The weather was pretty fantastic and we had a great day out with a few nice surprises, one of which was my 2nd time ever seeing a Say's Phoebe.
You can go out many times and never see one, so it was a real treat.

Say's Phoebe :




This American Bittern was doing its best 'you can't see me, I'm just part of the background' impression :



Here's a Mountain Bluebird seen on the day :



And the Bluebirds competitor for the nest boxes along many roadsides, a Tree Swallow:



This Krider's Red-tailed Hawk was over Blackstrap Lake :



Here's a Female Brewer's Blackbird in pretty harsh light:



And lastly, a Franklin's Gull :

14 comments:

Shelley said...

Your shot of the mountain bluebird is just amazing. I found the American bittern's pose very funny.

Nick S said...

Thanks shellmo :-) Those Bitterns do a pretty good job of blending in most of the time.

The Birdlady said...

These are as wonderful as always - I almost fainted over your bluebird - so different from our eastern, but so beautiful...love that phoebe too -

kjpweb said...

Outstanding job! The bittern and the bluebird made my jaw drop!
kudos! Cheers, Klaus

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Gorgeous shots! I love the shot of the bittern and that stunning bluebird. It's rare to see good pictures of bitterns! Yours is fantastic.

Stacey Olson said...

Nick, you really do have some fantastic photos... How is the book coming??(wink)

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Hi Nick! The Bittern just blends in so well. He is beautiful and unusual! First time to see the Mountain Bluebird. He is a true beauty!!
Always enjoy seeing what you have to offer there. Thanks!

Nick S said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :-)
No book yet, but there is a Calendar in the pipeline ;-)

Mike said...

Great series of images, especially the American Bittern.

Nick S said...

Thanks Mike :-)

John Theberge said...

I like the bittern shot, I see them occasionally wile kayaking but I haven't taken a photograph that comes close to this one. I also liked the tree swallow photo.

Jotter Jan said...

What outstanding shots Nick!!! the American Bittern and the Mountain Bluebird are just out of this world!!!! Your Bluebird shot leaves mine with a lot to desire. All I need is better glass and your talent! lol

Nick S said...

Thanks alot everyone. Another update is coming very soon.

Nick S said...

Thanks a lot , glad you enjoyed them!