Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fall Birding and catch up time !

Its been a rainy few weeks since my last update, but migration is in full swing.
I've found many nice species and have trawled parks and scanned alley ways and backyards looking for a glimpse of a colorful warbler , or something else passing through on its way south.

Here are some of the highlights seen recently :

Swainson's Thrush - They love the Elderberry and Red Osier Berries we have in our yard. There must have been 10 at our place over a 2 day period :





Blue-headed Vireo - One of my favourite species, I found him at a local park :



Yellow-rumped Warbler - Many of these were at local parks :





Swainson's Hawk - This dark-phased bird was near Blackstrap Lake recently :



Eastern Phoebe - I found this inquisitive flycatcher by the river on a low trail:



Great Blue Heron - This young Heron was at the Forestry Farm Park recently :



Canada Warbler - I found this at Cosmopolitan Park on a recent walk :



Clay-colored Sparrow - A few of these are still around in the open fields :

19 comments:

JanJan said...

Beautiful photographs! Gorgeous Blue-headed Vireo

Blondi Blathers said...

Wonderful!

grammie g said...

HI Nick ...nice to see a post from you and as usual not a diappointment !!
I especially like the Trush with the berries makes a lovely photo !!
All great though!!

Birding is Fun! said...

Fantastic photos as always. I love the Swainson's Thrush photos with the berries. Visually interesting!

Anonymous said...

Lots of superb photos here Nick.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great selection of birds.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Carole Barkett said...

Great captures, I love the expression on the hawk and the flycatcher.

Kelly said...

...so many cool birds and the photos are all wonderful. I totally get the "catch-up" time. I'm doing that now too! 10 Swainson's Thrushes in two days must have been a dream, and to have them in your yard! You're so lucky.

holdingmoments said...

Superb as always Nick.

boatbirder said...

Reading your blog with interest and I'm getting very excited about arriving in Canada on Friday. We're taking an RV from Calgary to Vancouver and just can't wait!

Regards

Keith

Unknown said...

Love the phoebe, Nick. You captured its character perfectly. These perky little birds are always the first to arrive in Spring - at least down here in Estevan. Beautiful photos, as always.

Nick S said...

Thanks for looking, and the kind comments friends.

Joanna Durczok said...

Lovely set of photos. You are a very tallented person. Congratulations.

Chris Petrak said...

I hope you keep catching up - these are wonderful images.

myonlyphoto said...

Hey Nick great bird collection.
Anna :)

Hilke Breder said...

Lovely photos, each one exquisite! Wish I could do as well.

Riyanna Lopez said...

NIce photos. I would love to see all those birds up close.

Riyanna
Budget Movers Fullerton

Riyanna Lopez said...

Beautiful photography. Love how you captured the bird's photos.

Riyanna
iPad Repair Redmond

Hannah Bailey said...

This is a very good blog and I like it a lot. Looking forward to learn some more from you. Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to recommend this site to others.

Hannah
Mesothelioma Lawyers