Monday, August 16, 2010

Ruffed Grouse and some recent Acomplishments

Another late update here, but this one is just to tide things over until I move house, which will be next month.
We have a beautiful new house and a big yard that I can turn into a bird paradise!

This male Ruffed Grouse was at a park about 30 minutes from town, sitting on its favorite log and attracting a mate by 'drumming' its wings which creates a loud thumping sound.
Many people have heard this sound from the woods, but not everyone has actually seen it. Very cool !





I thought I'd let some of my Blogger friends know that I've had a few things published this Summer ...

Birdwatch Canada magazine used several of my photos including the cover shot of a Western Meadowlark :



Prairies North Magazine - did a feature of the Red Deer River Valley and used a few of my photos in their Spring Issue. They will also be using one of my photos in their 2011 Calendar :



A 432 page field guide called 'The Birds of Quebec' by Jean Paquin, also used a number of my photographs. This can be bought on Amazon.com :



Also, anyone that lives locally can see my photos regularly in Nature Saskatchewan's Blue Jay Magazine and in the Sun newspaper in the 'Nature Notes " column.

16 comments:

Michelle Grebe said...

I'm always excited to see your blog and photos! I love feasting on the beauty of these birds and the habits that you capture. I hope your yard does become a bird paradise!

Carole Barkett said...

Congratulations! Your photos are awesome. I haven't seen or heard a grouse since I moved so it was nice. Can't wait to hear all about your yard either

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
Wow this is a splendid set of pictures that you published today. The attitude of the bird and the quality of the pictures are awesome. Congrats on the publication of many of your pictures. i hope you got some money out of it ;-)

Hilke Breder said...

Congrats! Last year we had a Ruffed Grouse drumming on our stonewall, but haven't heard any this year :-(
Lovely shots.

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. Yes, I did get paid for some of those I mentioned, which is always a bonus !


,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

grammie g said...

Hi Nick...first I want to say how "wonderful"for you to have your photos being used in these publications; especially on the cover !!!
How nice to be able to see and photograph the Grouse; and the photos are great!!
I used to see or hear them drumming until the coyotes moved in and now...
Hope things go well with the move!!

Mike said...

WOW Nick didn't realise you where so famous, well done mate, and keep the pics coming on here.

holdingmoments said...

Great series of the Ruffed Grouse Nick.

And congratulations on all your published achievements. That's excellent!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Congrats on the published pictures.Great shots of the Grouse.
Blessings,Ruth

FAB said...

A great accomplishment to be pulished so widely Nick..congrats.

The new yard project sounds very interseting. FAB.

Chris Petrak said...

Stunning photos of the grouse - not easy even to get these birds to stay still, much less display like this. Great.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting some really nice photos published Nick.

Nick S said...

Thanks a lot guys :-)

Unknown said...

Hey Nick, congrats on having more of your work published. Beautiful.

Nick S said...

Thanks Kathy :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nick. Your work is so good.

S.