Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Bird Count Highlights

This is Christmas Bird Count time, and upon writing this, I have completed 6 of them, each with their own highlights.
I still have 2, maybe 3 more to go up until the 2nd of January, when the last one will be at Pike Lake.

For most of the counts the weather has been pretty tolerable. I remember, much of last years count-weather was absolutely freezing, with wind chills of minus 50 degrees centigrade or more in some cases.

Some of the best birds I've seen over the last 6 counts done this season have been :

Townsend's Solitaire
Red Crossbill
White-winged Crossbill
Pine Grosbeak
Common Redpoll
Northern Shrike
Northern Goshawk
Pine Siskin
Snowy Owl
Great Horned Owl
Glaucous Gull
Harris's Sparrow
American Robin
Merlin
Cedar Waxwing
Golden Eagle
Bald Eagle
Sharp-tailed Grouse
Gray Partridge


Here are a few new photos from the counts done so far :

Red Crossbill





Red-breasted Nuthatch



Townsend's Solitaire


14 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow,you really work hard on these CBCs.You also have great pictures of the birds.Have a great day.
Blessings,Ruth

holdingmoments said...

All great pictures Nick; that Red-breasted Nuthatch is a beauty.

I can't begin to imagine how a wind chill of minus 50 degrees centigrade feels; other than dam cold. lol

Andrew said...

These photos are JUST gorgeous!

FAB said...

Some more wonderful sightings Nick, including the Townsend's Solitaire with a juniper berry I presume.

Nick S said...

Thanks guys :-) Yes, minus 50 is pretty ridiculous, and being outside in it, is even crazier. The key is to make sure your face and hands are covered, and you wear plenty of layers !
Frank, you know your stuff where Solitaires are concerned, Junipers being their absolute favourite fruit ,but I think on this occasion this bird was eating a chokecherry, a frozen one at that !

Jayne said...

That's a great list Nick! I love the photo of the nuthatch. Happy New Year!

Kelly said...

...love the photo of the Townsend eating the frozen berry....and your nuthatch is just stellar. Your photos always are.

The calendars arrived, and I loved it--and everyone I gave one to loved it too!

Nick S said...

Thanks Jayne :-)
Glad you got the calendars safely and everyone liked them Kelly !

Michelle said...

Hey, I think I have one of those Townsends Solitaire that visits my feeders here in Delisle. I was wondering what it was. I have seen more nuthatchs this year than ever. Beautiful pictures Nick.

Tina said...

Wonderful pictures, Nick. Gorgeous color..

Chris Petrak said...

wonderful photos & and good birds for the CBC - you get a few more "good" birds than we do on our CBC - happy new year

Mike said...

Stunning pics Nick, been to Scotland to see a crossbill but never been this lucky, best wishes for the new year.

Nick S said...

Many thanks guys. Best wishes to you for the New Year also !

Kerri Farley said...

Another set of excellent pics! These are birds I don't see in my area...except for the Red Breasted Nuthatch. I saw my first one a few weeks ago. Your pics are so amazing!