Monday, January 12, 2009

Winter Woodpeckers

With the onset of colder weather and more snowfall, our yard becomes host to a number of different species of Woodpecker during the winter months.
The following photos were shot hand-held through my kitchen window. I wish the light had been better for these photos, but it seems the sun has barely been out for days.
The unsalted-unsweetened peanut butter is still proving to be a big hit for the third year in a row :

Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker - This male has been coming every day for the past couple of weeks and usually heads straight for the heated birdbath. Recently though he is spending more time eating peanut butter, to get through those colder nights.





Red-shafted/Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker Hybrid

Compare to the Yellow shafted : Note the orange/red on the underside of the wings and on the tail feathers, and only the faintest of red on the nape, where the male yellow has the black 'moustache', red nape patch and yellow on the wings and tail.
This female hybrid yellow x red shaft only seems to show up when the weather is really bad, or after a particularly big snowfall.
I was happy to see her back early this morning at the peanut butter tree.




Hairy Woodpecker :

The male Hairy Woodpecker still comes to the yard every other day.



Downy Woodpecker:

This female is one of a pair of Downies that also visits every day. I've noticed this species eating sunflower seeds quite often this season.

14 comments:

Jayne said...

I love all your woodpeckers Nick, and especially love seeing the Hairy and Downy side by side to really see the differences. :c) Have a wonderful day.

John Theberge said...

Great shots, I've been getting chickadees and nuthatches to my feeder but I put out a block of suet the other day so maybe I'll get some woodpeckers. I should try the peanutbutter trick like you did.

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I'll try to have a lovely day, except it now looks like I have to shovel a pile of snow that blew in last night ! :-) Gotta love winter here...

NCmountainwoman said...

Great photographs. Nice comparison between the Hairy and Downy.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Great photos, Nick!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I am always in awe at your photos.They are crisp and clear,love them.
Blessings,Ruth

Mike said...

Stunning woodies over there Nick, great shots too.

Shelley said...

Nick - can you please send some of those beautiful flickers over to visit me?! Beautiful shots as always!

Nick S said...

Many thanks everyone !

The Birdlady said...

Can't pick a favorite - they are all beautiful.

Unknown said...

That's an awesome series of images Nick. They are all so good its difficult to pick a favorite

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wonderful shots as usual. That first one definitely has an interesting pattern. I was gonna say send me some of that snow but the last time I did I actually got a jar of it in the mail (melted of course but I still loved it).
:-)

Birbman said...

this one on the fence must be a juvenile. Its still here(10min)!

Birbman said...

this one on the fence must be a juvenile. Its still here(10min)!