Thursday, August 14, 2008

Old Regina highway again...

After a nice afternoon at Blackstrap Lake, my wife and I went home via the old Regina highway.

Here are a few photos...

Pied-billed Grebe - This was one of four juveniles in a slough :



Red-tailed Hawk - These Hawks seldom sit still for a photo. I was happy with this flight shot though :



Western Kingbird - not the best of perches ( sitting on an electric fence ! )but these are a beautiful flycatcher :



Brown-headed Cowbird - yet another youngster. We had one of these in our backyard this morning feeding on the ground with the House Sparrows :

10 comments:

Shelley said...

The hawk was exquisite - it would be beautiful framed!

Nick S said...

Thanks Shelly. I've had a few nice comments about him today :-)

Rocky M said...

That Red tailed flight shot is excellent Nick.Your Western Kingbird almost appears to be smiling ..I wonder if he got a good buzz off that fence.lol

Rocky

The Birdlady said...

Nick, I think that just might be my favorite ever reed-tailed hawk photo!

kjpweb said...

Wow for the Redtail! And I didn't know that young Pied bill Grebes had white spots...
Great images!
Cheers, Klaus

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wonderful shots! I would have been happy with that in flight photo too. It's awwww-sum!

Nick S said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone :-)

Nick S said...

Thankyou for the kind words, and don't ever quit !
I can go days without getting a shot I'm truly happy with.
There are many photographers out there that make me strive for perfection, and I look at some of their photos and want to throw the towel in too , but never will ! :-)

Rocky M said...

Well said Nick.If you truly love doing it and put in the hard work,great results will come.Some days can be very depressing but you push on.

Bringing a greater awareness to local species we have is a tremendously worthwhile endeavor.Many people tell me all the time I never knew we had all these birds here.

It's good people like yourself that really got me interested in birdwatching.So whether one feels they measure up to the next guy is not so important.I've been a great admirer of you work and your one of the finest guys in the province.

All the best bud,
Rocky

Nick S said...

Right back at ya mate :-)