Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spring Robins at the Forestry Farm

A few days ago, a friend and I ventured out to the Forestry Farm Park to see what Spring arrivals were coming through.
The morning was somewhat cold and grey as a light sleet had fallen the night before, so we only stayed for an hour or so.
The most obvious birds there were the Robins and Junco's.
Actually I'm surprised at the amount of birdlife at the park seeing as there was a predator amidst...
A Merlin was racing around the sky giving its high-pitched shriek, but this didn't seem to deter the species that were seen:

American Robin - 70
Dark-eyed Juncos - 32
American Tree Sparrow - 1
Northern Flicker - 1
Blue Jay - 2
Canada Geese - 14
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1
House Finch - 2
Ring-billed Gull - 5
House Sparrow - 15
Merlin - 1

The were also at least 5 Jack Rabbits in the park.

American Robin :

13 comments:

The Birdlady said...

That's one FAT robin! I did a similar photo on a greeting card with the caption: "I'm in shape; Round is a shape, isn't it?"
It's a great shot.

Stacey Olson said...

Yes indeed. One well fed or cold bird. LOL Thanks for sharing. 70 robins? I bet the worms are scared..lol

Nick S said...

Thanks :-) Yeah, I looked at the photo again earlier and thought it looked well fed ..
Those worms better look out ! :-)

John Theberge said...

Absolutey stunning robin photo!

Anna Simpson said...

What a fantastic photograph of the Robin, very well done.

Jotter Jan said...

Nice Robin photo Nick! Looks like that one is the early bird that gets all the worms. haha

Nick S said...

Thanks :-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Your birds are fantastic Nick. I especially love the owls and the Snowy Owl has always been one of my favorites.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Hi Nick!
Thanks for commenting on my blog!
That is one handsome Robin and you really make him shine in that photo. Great job! It's tough being patient trying to get the shots of birds you are seeking.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

P.S. Hope you're feeling better soon, Nick!!

Nick S said...

Thankyou :-) I haven't had a cold this bad in years , and there's a pretty bad flu bug going round right now over here.
Luckily for you guys I'm far away :-)

Jotter Jan said...

Oh my Nick...after posting my Robin series...your one Robin photo puts my whole series to shame! haha

Shelley said...

I believe that is the fattest & happiest Robin I have ever seen! Great photo!!
Shell