Friday, April 4, 2008

Great Day for Raptors

Yesterday I traveled south of Saskatoon in overcast & rainy conditions with 2 friends, for almost 2 hours. I had heard good things about Raptor sightings in between Rosetown & Elrose from my friend Marten and wanted to see for myself.
It was a long journey but very worthwhile !

Here's what was seen :

Red-tailed Hawk - 39 in total ! at one point there was a pair on a
power pole every 2 k or so. Stopping on the high highway was pretty scary , so we opted to just ID them as we were driving.

Rough-legged Hawk - my first of the year - 4 birds including a very dark phased individual.

American Kestrel - 5

Merlin - 1

Snowy Owl - 4 on the way home . Including a great look at a male.

Great Horned Owl - 2 on the way home

Western Meadowlark - new for the year . 5 birds including one singing
already.

American Robin - 1 at Harris.

American Tree Sparrow - 2

Mountain Bluebird - 1

European Starling - 35

Canada Goose - 150

Green-winged Teal - ( new for 2008 )1 male among many Northern Pintail

Northern Pintail ( new for 2008 ) - 65 + in a slough east of Elrose

Horned Lark - 9

American Crow - 12

Common Raven - 6

House Sparrow - 20

Here are a couple of photos :

Snowy Owl



Rough-legged Hawk - not the closest view. This handsome bird was way out in a field.



...and the first Western Meadowlark of 2008

13 comments:

Anna Simpson said...

Wow! fantastic photographs. I love the photograph of the Snowy Owl well done.

Nick S said...

Thanks Anna :-)

The Birdlady said...

Those images are beautiful! I love seeing tose birds that we don't have here. I'll be watching your blog.

Stacey Olson said...

Beautiful photos Nick. I Love snow owls, but have to say the shot of the meadowlark is great. Thanks for sharing

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Hi Nick, Your pictures are fantastic! I'll be back to look some more. Thanks for stopping by my blog, too.

Darrell Neufeld said...

great trip very envious

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Incredible shots, Nick!! Your photos are always amazing.

Nick S said...

Thanks for all the kind words guys :-)

Jotter Jan said...

WOW...what a fantastic photo adventure...and that Snowy Owl is to die for!!!!! The Meadow Lark was
marvelous. I really enjoyed my visit to your blog!

Clare said...

Very nice Western Meadowlark picture Nick. I'm always amazed that you can hear their song even speeding by in a car with windows up.

Nick S said...

Yeah, Those Meadowlarks really can sing !
Cheers,

Nick

John Theberge said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I enjoyed yours also; especially the photo of the meadow lark on the fence post, very nice. I can tell by your profile photo you use the same lens as I do.

Nick S said...

Thanks John. One of these days I'll get a 500mm lens , but that seems a way off yet.
Just means more practice with my stalking skills :-)