Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring WAS here !

Only in Saskatchewan, can you get a snow storm in April !
Today we have gusting winds of up to 70kph and blowing snow and sleet...a great day to stay inside!

2 friends and I did an Owl survey the night before this storm kicked off, so its a good job we chose Wednesday night when there was hardly a breath of wind and clear skies.
We got lucky and managed to hear 5 Saw-whet Owls and about 7 Great Horned Owls on our stretch along an area called Wilson Lake, close to Sonningdale Saskatchewan.

Here's a Horned Lark from the same day my wife and I saw the Northern Shrike in my last post :

11 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
No not only in your area because we got one at the beginning of the month too! So, see Iceland is about the same... except for the bird species ;-) Beautiful picture of the lark you got, as good as all the picture you publish... Well done...

Shelley said...

Looks like he's showing you his best side! Nice photo!

holdingmoments said...

Beautiful shot Nick. He's living up to his name there.

I often envy all the birds you have there; but I certainly don't envy your weather lol

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Gorgeous shot.Please don't send that snow storm to Manitoba.I am so done with winter for now.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Your Lark image is really a great one, you caught it in perfect lighting. Hoping your winter ends soon so spring shall bring you more species to share with each of us. Have a very nice weekend~

Nick S said...

Thanks guys. This weather won't last forever. It was 18 degrees yesterday and sunny..crazy !

Susan Ellis said...

Definitely horned! Great shot...and the great thing about talking about the prairie weather? Subject changes every hour or so!

FAB said...

Wow..you are having a tough time with the weather Nick. I'm pleased to report we have sunshine at last.
The lark posed beautifully. FAB.

Kelly said...

..wow...5 Saw-whet Owls in one evening--pretty amazing! Love the photo of the Horned Lark--beautiful. (Yikes for the snow...and 18 degrees, yuck! We were complaining because it was 48 and windy. I'll keep my mouth shut! :-)

Chris Petrak said...

Your horned lark and shrike are just wonderful - with the horns - and hooked beak. I don't often see the name feature of the lark when I do encounter him.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I hope Spring will stay the next time it comes around for you. Love the shots. I wish I was as good as spotting and naming birds as you.