Friday, September 11, 2009

More From Cypress Hills

Here is another bunch of photos from my recent trip to the Cypress Hills ( as usual click to see bigger versions ):


Ruby-crowned Kinglet - I found this youngster on the 'Highland trail' portion of the park :



Turkey Vulture - My wife and I found a few of these perched at Eastend, a nice drive not too far from Cypress Hills :




Swainson's Hawk - I caught this hawk as he was about to lift off . The background here is a lush green field that was beautifully out of focus behind him :




Loggerhead Shrike - One of two individuals we saw on the journey home :



Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
- This juvenile was also on the Highland Trail and as much as I wanted to, I couldn't turn him into a Red-naped Sapsucker. Next year !



Song Sparrow - Another young bird. This was taken by the Cypress Lake and posed nicely by a berry bush :




Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk - This light phase Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk was a nice surprise to see on the way home. The background here is a canola field. The light was fading so I had to boost the ISO to 800 on this one just to keep it in focus :


17 comments:

Shelley said...

All wonderful Nick! I swear - they are posing just perfectly for you!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Your photography skills are evedent here.The backgrounds are so perfect and of course each bird clear and sharp.I enjoy visiting your blog because of this.
Blessings,Ruth

holdingmoments said...

Superb pictures Nick.
Love those BOP, and that Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Perfect backgrounds as Ruth said.

Jayne said...

Gorgeous as always Nick! Love the shrike!

dev wijewardane said...

great shots

dev wijewardane said...

love the DOF

Chris said...

Hi Nick,
This is, as usually, a very very good set of pictures. But I have to say that the Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk shot (the first one) is just magnificent! The contrast of the colors of the bird and the bokeh is wonderful!

FAB said...

Another super series Nick.

Nick S said...

Thanks very much guys :-)

Suzanne said...

Thank you for sharing your journeys and the wild ones you see, Nick. Your pictures are always so crisp and vivid. I appreciate the additional information about your experience in taking the pictures, too. You bring them to life.

Kelly said...

Wow...what a variety. The first photo of the youngster is beautiful, and the Swainson's....the the white Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk--I would love to see that bird!

Peggy said...

Just plain awesome shots of the Harlan's Red-tailed! (Too bad about ISO, but still fantastic!) And what a great portrait of the Kinglet!

Anna Simpson said...

Everytime I visit your blog it always puts a big smile on my face. Fantastic photographs!

Nick S said...

Many thanks everyone.
Lately I have tried to capture photos with good bokeh ( blurred or smooth background )
This can be either loved by some and hated by others, as it doesn't really show the birds habitat, unless of course, the subject is on a tree , or branch with surrounding fruit etc.
For me personally, I prefer a non-busy background , this makes the subject the most important thing in the frame and there are no distractions.
For birds that live in Marshes for example, or other specific habitats , I think its good to try and get some of the background in focus , but for the most part an uncluttered background is now usually how I try and compose my shots.

Tina said...

Such wonderful shots of such a nice variety of birds..you must have a little bird whisper in you..they look like they were waiting for you to arrive..stunning shots!

Mike said...

Stunning shots Nick, the close up is amazing and all the other shots appear to be perfectly timed, nice one.

dev wijewardane said...

lovely bird, I've never seen it before.