Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bluebirds and a bold Skunk

Despite a cold and bitter wind on Wednesday morning, I went for a little drive out to Beaver Creek with a friend straight from work .
Another friend who reads this blog informed me of some Mountain Bluebirds that had just arrived in that area , so I was hoping to find some and got lucky by finding 4 in one place and 3 more a bit later on.
Unfortunately they were very skittish and were quite a distance away for a decent photo , so I just enjoyed the fact that I'd found them and hope to get some photos another time.
There were not too many species around , probably because of the 25k gale that was blowing, but still, the Sun felt nice and warm .
Here's what was seen :

Red-tailed Hawk - a lone soaring bird . ( New for 2008)
Mountain Bluebird - 7 ( New for 2008)
American Crow - 2
Common Raven - 6
Black-billed Magpie - 19
Horned Lark - 8
European Starling - 3 at a farmstead
Black-capped Chickadee - 3
Common Redpoll - 12
Bohemian Waxwing - 45
Rock Dove - 3
Canada Geese - 25

I was hoping I'd see a mammal of some kind , as that always makes the day extra special, so I was extremely happy to find this Skunk on the way home . He certainly wasn't afraid of us , and I'm lucky he didn't decide to let rip with a blast of spray at me !

2 comments:

Duncan said...

Just visited for the first time Nick, wonderful, outstanding pictures, congratulations.

Nick S said...

Thanks Duncan , I appreciate the kind words.